Once upon a time, when I was working outside the home, there were a group of coworkers who affectionately called me Lil Susy Homemaker. I got this nickname because I was always doing something. Whether it be baking items and bringing leftovers to work, or scrapbooking at lunchtime, or bringing in pictures of things I have made, I was always creating something.
There was one area that although I would have loved to venture in, I felt, quite honestly, intimidated to do. That was sewing. Back in school I took a cooking class, but never a home economics one even though I wanted to. I am afraid to say, I was never quite the lucky one to get into that class. I loved watching my friends show off thier creations. And each year I asked my guidance counselor, and each year I would close my eyes and wish with all my might I would have it as my elective class. No such luck.
Of course, once I got married I discovered Grandma A was quite handy with a sewing machine. She even worked once creating doll clothing. How excited was I when I discovered I was having a baby girl that Grandma can make beautiful dresses for! And that she did! I would purchase dress patterns and material and she would present to me the gorgeous finished product with ease.
Three Christmases ago, Grandma A gave me a huge surprise. She gave me my very own sewing machine! I was beyond elated! The next day we sat down for a session on how to use the machine. Let's just say it didn't go over well. Grandma A and I differ in teaching styles. I am a hands on learner, and Grandma A is the type of teacher that feels she has to do all the work and eventually you will be skilled enough to get it. Needless to say, I didn't learn much.
For 3 years I would look at the box and feel the urge to use it, but then feel terribly intimidated by it. It'd be my luck I would take it out and try to use it and damage it.
That was until last week....
I was reading one of my favorite blogs and came across the cutest little decorative pumpkins she created. And best of all, she had a step by step tutorial with pictures and all! I am such the fall kinda girl, and decorating my home especially with pumpkins was just up my alley. I so wanted to make them and knew handstitching was out of the question.
So I went to Joann's, picked up several pieces of fabric, and dusted off the box and pulled out the sewing machine. I was afraid at first, but ventured on. I tell me kids all the time, if you are going to overcome your fear, you need to face it, head on. And so I did! I was amazed to see how remarkably easy it was! And although they are not as perfect as Holly's pumpkins, I did manage to make them, all on my own. After the first one, I couldn't stop! I used up every piece of fabric I purchased and ended up making 8 little pumpkins. They came out cute, and I am so proud of myself.
Holly, thanks for inspiring me make the pumpkins, and in turn, getting me acquainted with my sewing machine. Now I can not wait to dream up of other fun things to make for my home.
If it’s not broken, don’t fix it
5 years ago





2 comments:
Oh that is sooo amazing! I am soo super proud of you...those pumpkins look awesome!!!!
I am so impressed and proud of you for trying something new. Beware, though - it can become quite addicting. Thanks always for all of your sweet comments on my blog!!!
Post a Comment