Yesterday I wrote on how the Internet brings long lost buddies together again. But I have to say, I have made some great online friends too. A couple have even become amazing IRL (in real life) friends as well.
Jenn- Jennifer and I were brought together by our passion to scrapbook. We met through the Memories Expo message board. I was looking to purchase a ticket for a class that was sold out, she was looking for a ticket to a crop. A lady was selling both of the items were looking for. I posted my interest on the board and when I didn't hear back from her within a couple of days, I emailed Jenn to see if she had. We both have AOL buddy list and started a conversation via IM. Aside from our love for scrapbooking, we had other things in common. We are both Latina, we both are originally from NYC, and we were both going to the Memories Expo sans buddies. For the next couple of weeks leading up to the expo, we chatted online daily. We set up to meet the morning of the expo and hopefully be able to sit together at the crop. We exchanged pics so we would know what each other looked like and said our goodnights the day before the expo. We met the following morning and it was as though we knew each other all our lives! We had an amazing time. Since then, we have been wonderful real life friends, going to crops, other expos, birthday parties, baby showers, BBQ's, etc. To think, we probably would have never met had it not been for the lady selling tickets on the internet message board. (Which we never did get in contact with!)
Elisa- Elisa and I met in an AOL Pregnancy chat room back in the Fall of 1998. We were both expecting our first child and both shared the same fears and joys. Like in some chats, a dispute errupted between a couple of the expecting moms. Elisa and I ended up commenting on the ruckus through instant messages. We kept touch even though we didn't frequent the chat room anymore (too much drama!). It was fun keeping up with the babies progress. Unfortunately we didn't meet in person right away. I living in New York and she living in Florida made that very difficult. 3 years later, I was planning a trip to Miami to visit my Mom, and Elisa and I scheduled a playdate for the girls at Chuck E Cheese. The girls had a blast together and Elisa and I talked non-stop till the place closed! My sister thought it was wonderful making friends with someone who lived hundreds of miles away. To this day, we keep in touch and since she also shares a love for scrapbooking, we are hoping to be able to meet up again at a Creating Keepsakes Convention!
Elizabeth- Like Elisa, I met Beth while I was pregnant. Not on a chat room (I was so beyond that, some people are just in those rooms to cause trouble), but on an AOL Message Board. All of us were due in November 2002. The board was pretty tightknit during the pregnancy and through the first year. Then, like most pregnancy boards, it dwindled till no one else was around. Being a mommy is a busy job! Beth and I were one of the few who kept in touch. Beth's family is the Philly area, which isn't too far from me. We decided one year to meet at the Philly Zoo. The hubby's thought the whole meeting someone we know on the internet was insane, but once they met they got along great. The kids had a blast, and it was so much fun meeting Beth in person. Over the years we would keep each other updated on our lives...our girls share a love for dance, the boys are....well 100% rambuntious boys! We only got to meet in person once since Beth and her family lived in the LoneStar State. But, this summer, they relocated to PA. We are already planning to get the kids together for a pumpkin picking expedition!
I have made some online buddies that I am hoping I get the chance to meet IRL one day. Melissa & Susan.....hopefully we can do a grand gathering at CKC-Valley Forge!
If it’s not broken, don’t fix it
5 years ago





3 comments:
Carmen, it's so sweet that you blogged about our friendship! I have to admit, I am thankful that we met! I don't have many friends and it's nice to share stuff with someone even if they are far away!!!!!!!!!
Hi Carmen! I would love to meet up with you too:) I agree with Elisa..I love being able to share stuff and then have you all share back. IT is a UNIQUE relationship which I appreciate very much.
That was really nice to read, Carmen! I'm very thankful for our friendship, and it's very neat that we have so much in common - both individually and within our families!
I hope that our friendship will continue to grow, and that we'll be able to actually get together more now that we're hours from each other!
Post a Comment