CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, September 08, 2008

Bringing People Together

I am extremely grateful to the invention of the internet. Not only can we research an infinite amount of topics, but, through the help of various websites, we can build new friendships, and find long lost ones as well.

When Mike and I got married, we rented a beautiful apartment in a Co-Op building in Yonkers (right on the border of Bronxville). While living there I became friends with a family across the hall, The Gunthers. The following year, Chanell and I both discovered we were expecting our first child. We shared our ups and downs of pregnancy and then welcomed our bundles of joy, for me it was a girl, for them it was a boy. We spent some days at each others apartment, letting the kids gurgle to one another. On bright, sunny days we would strap them into thier strollers and take walks around the neighborhood.

Chanell is orginally from Alabama. A year later, the Gunthers decided to relocate to Atlanta, Georgia in order to be closer to her family. We kept touch. I had her number in my PalmPilot (wow, how technology has changed, LOL). about 18 months after they moved, we relocated to the Jersey Shore. When I went to locate my Palm Pilot to give Chanell a call to give her my new information, I discovered the battery was dead. Therefore, I lost all her contact information. The last I heard from Chanell she and her husband were thinking of moving back to Westchester County, NY. That was several years ago.

I thought of them the other night and decided to try locating them on one of the social networks. I tried Myspace, nothing. Then I decided to look them up on Facebook. I didn't get a hit with Chanell, but I did find someone with her husband's name. I wrote a short note asking if he once lived on H Street in Yonkers with his family. Imagine my surprise when I opened my email this morning and discovered, it was the Gunther family! I was beside myself! We exchanged phone numbers and he told Chanell I would be contacting her soon.

Not only is the internet a wonderful source of information, it also is an excellent way of bringing people back in touch!

1 comments:

Melissa S said...

Fantastic!!!!!!!!!