CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, April 06, 2008

A Man of Many Guayaberas *Luis Quinones- d.2008*


I have to say I was one of the fortunate ones growing up. I was able to build a relationship with all my grandparents. Of course I didn't realize that till I was an adult. I remember when I was still dating Mike and he told me he never got to meet either of his grandfathers. I thought that was so sad. I suppose that is the primary reason he wanted Christopher to be named after his paternal grandfather. A link, however small, to the past.

My grandfather, Luis, passed away this week. It came as a big shock to all of us since he wasn't ill. He was leaving his building when he suddenly collapsed. His neighbors called the ambulance and he was rushed to the hospital. After running tests they discovered his kidneys were shutting down. They told him that he would need to be placed on dialysis, but he refused. He expired 2 days later. He was 68.

Many have asked, why would you refuse treatment, especially since it may have prolonged his life a bit more? I guess we will never know the answer. But it makes me wonder....when it is our time to go, do we know? Do we come to accept that this is the end, and rather than prolong the inevitable, we embrace it?

I know I will see Abuelo Luis again someday. Until then, I will always remember his boisterous laughter, his perfectly pressed "guayaberas", his running joke greeting "I See you!", and his goodbye hugs with a handshake that always seemed to magically press a couple of dollars in our hands.

Until then, I'll miss you....

2 comments:

Melissa S said...

Oh Carmen..sending you a big cyber hug.....thinking of you and your family..

Unknown said...

So sorry to hear this. He sounds like a wonderful man and an awesome grandfather! I'm sure he's keeping watch over you and your little ones!