CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Say It Isn't So!

Yesterday was the first day of my Biology class. This semester all the classes taught at night were filled so I had to enroll for a distance learning one instead. Contrary to what many think, distance learning is not easy. Some people believe since they don't have to go to a classroom and they don't have to sit through the boring lectures and they don't waste as much time. Not so. The professors need to document that you have logged the credit hours, so typically you are given written assignments that are the equivilent of the hours you may have traditionally spent in a classroom. Not to mention, in a classroom, you get to know the professor and know what he expects of you. Seeing that I needed this Bio course and I didn't want to wait a semester and lose valuable time towards completing my degree, I opted to take it online.

Well, the professor is very thorough, which I LOVE! I love knowing exactly how I am going to be graded and what is expected of me. He wrote it all out in great detail even explaining how he grades papers according to the rubric system. All the assignments and their due dates were given on the syllabus. Of course along with that was the necessary textbooks and materials we would need for the course. Great, I am ready.........so I thought!

When I went to the bookstore, the gentleman that attended me gave me the textbook (remember the $226 one?). I asked before I left if I would require anything else. He looked unsure, looked in the book and said no. Boy, should I have taken his unsureness as a sign!

Yesterday I realized that I would require a lab kit and a microscope for this class in conjunction with the textbook. I called the school and of course they are all out of the necessary items. They can order it but it would take at least 10 days before it arrives. I can't wait that long since our first assignment is due before then. Ever efficient, the professor gave us the website where we can obtain both of my missing items. Since my internet service was down yesterday afternoon, I decided I would wait till this morning to order it. I knew I would have to pay big dollars for 2 day delivery. What I wasn't prepared for was the actual cost for the items I required.

I nearly fell off my chair when I saw the price! $294!!!!! Oh yes, an ADDITIONAL $294 for this one little course I need to satisfy the science portion required in order to become an elemetary school teacher. With the shipping my grand total was $350.83.

Unbelievable! The course itself cost $580. The material for the course cost $576.83! The equivilent of me taking another class.

My pocket is not too happy.....

2 comments:

Melissa S said...

OMG...that is a terrible chunk of money...yikes...and soo unexpected....and I have been wondering what you were going back to school for. I think you will make a wonderful elementary school teacher....any grades you like best????

Mom2Niko said...

WHOA! That is ridiculous! I can't get over how much it costs to get an education in this country! At least when you are all done and teaching you wont have to buy an more textbooks or pay to educate.