CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, August 19, 2007

Since Our Weekend Wasn't Exciting Enough...

I went to the Emergency Room this morning. Last night I sat down to dinner for our dinner of Pad Tai. It was delicious! Afterwards I settled down on the sofa for a relaxing evening movie with Mike, Chris and Lei. Suddenly I started having sharp pains in my right side.

Since I occasionally get sudden gas pain I figured that is what it was and a little ginger ale would aleviate it. I drank some and nothing. I decided to let the kids and Mike finish seeing the movie and I went upstairs to lay down. Nada. So I went to sleep hoping that the pain would subside. Nope....at 12am I woke up in excruciating pain. Mike went and got me some ginger ale. He then said try sleeping on my stomach. I did and the pressure seemed to help. But I was still in pain.

I fell asleep but at 6am I woke up still with this stabbing pain. I just about had it. I woke up Mike and told him I was going to drive myself to the ER. He didn't want me to go by myself, so we took the kids, pajama clad and all, to the hospital. Thankfully the ER was empty. I walked right in. Bad news was that since the pain was in the area of my appendix, they needed to run tests that would take approximately 4 hours to complete.

The staff on call were wonderful to Leilani and Christopher. They gave them breakfast and snacks and drinks during our almost 7 hour stay in there. I had to drink that nasty liquid that is needed for the CAT scan. YUCK!!!! Not even pretending it was ice tea or an amaretto sour helped much. They took blood, collected a urine sample, and when the CAT Scan ruled appendicitis, they did a ultrasound to rule out any problem with my gall bladder.

Final results: they have no idea where the pain is stemming from. May be a very bad case of gastritis. Or it can be the beginnings of an ulcer. In either case, they discharged me with some meds for the gas and the pain. They also gave me instructions to see a gastroenterologist.

Even better news was the fact I did not require immediate surgery and my kidneys, gall bladder and liver seem to be just fine. I will definitely be making an appointment with a specialist. I don't want to go through that pain again. It was really scary!

0 comments: