CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Elders Should Also Respect The Younger Folks

OK, I was taught from a very early age that you should always respect your elders. I was also taught that you need to give respect in order to gain respect. I would say that 90% of the time it has worked.

Of course today was one of the rare 10% of he time where you wish you were not so respectful.

This afternoon I decided to take Chris out for lunch at Mc D's. A fast food restaurant that is known around the world to be kid friendly, and doesn't require children to sit perfectly still and know when to use thier salad fork right? I happened to have run into my friend, Kati and her two boys and we decided to sit and eat together. Well, you'd think that the little old lady who sat at the table across from us would know that she didn't walk into Tavern on the Green this cold, March afternoon.

Our boys (who range in age from 2-5) ate all thier lunch and started to play together at the table. Once it was time for us to go, they were playing together right beside the table. Mind you, the side of the restaurant we occupied was empty save for the little old lady across from us, and another older woman who was seated at the table beside her. Suddenly the little old lady tells the other older woman sitting beside her in a voice that was meant for Kati and I to overhear "Those children are so out of control. They are savages! Parents should teach them some manners and how to behave appropriately in public." The other old lady agreed with her. I was dumbfounded! HELLO???? We are not in a sit down restaurant, and the children were not trashing the joint. They were simply playing while Kati and I picked up the area we were about to vacate. Meanwhile she continued to give us looks, that if looks could kill, our little boys would not be around for us to enjoy anymore.

She continued on in this manner talking to her neighbor at the next table. I couldn't resist it anymore and said to Kati, in that same MEANT to be overheard voice "It is amazing how with age we forget what it is like to deal with a 2-5 year old boy. But what is even more amazing is that some people expect the silence that would probably be expected in a 5 star restaurant in a place that is known for thier Happy Meals!"

I really hope that when I become a little old lady that I don't become this bitter person who is bothered by the young.

0 comments: