This morning Mr. Postman brought to me a package I'd been anticipating for Leilani. 3 beautiful brand new Children's Place skirts I had won for Leilani off of EBAY. They fit her perfectly. I was even more excited because I had won them for under $2!!
After lunch I decided we would make a trip to a nearby Children's Place to look for some tops to match Leilani's new skirts. Now, normally I don't shop in that town often because of the local residents. Each time I do, I never have a good experience. The majority of them are not very nice, are self-absorbed, the kids are unruly, and more importantly, they don't use thier manners. But since I was only going to shop at one store I figured I would save the gas I would waste driving up to the mall. Now, how bad can it be, right?
I walk into the store with my two kiddies in tow. I walk around the store in search of the perfect tops to match Leilani's wonderful new skirts. I find some along the back wall. So while I am perusing a stack of tops a local comes by and says excuse me. Wow, this astonishes me since many of them NEVER EVER talk to individuals who are not like them. Not to mention she used her manners. I was astonished! Most of the time I will hold a door for them and they breeze by without a thank you. Here I was beginning to think, Gee, maybe they are getting schooled on manners. But her next action threw that wishful thinking out the window.
I stepped aside, thinking that the woman and her brood wanted to pass by me. But her true intention was to get me to stop looking through the pile of tops I was looking at so she can look through them! She truly parked herself in front of the stack I was looking through and started talking to one of the four daughters that were with her and putting tops up to them trying to see which size was right for which child.
I couldn't believe it! After I picked my jaw off the floor from the audacity of this woman, I counted to ten and then said "Um, excuse ME, but I believe I was there looking through that pile first. I was under the impression you were trying to get by me." and then made my way to find the top I was originally looking for before she interupted me. She said something in her language to her kids and moved on to the next pile of tops. After a few minutes in which she and her daughters made a mess of the tops on display, she haphazardly threw the ones she didn't want back on the shelf not bothering to even fold them neatly back in place, she walked away.
Two seconds later an employee comes over mumbling under his breath and throwing daggers with his eyes to the rude woman. I look at him and say "The nerve of some people! It is that rudeness that keeps me from shopping around here." He looked at me sympathetically and said "I don't blame you. I wish they had not placed me in this store. There are many like her that come in here and trash the store, try to find defects, or better yet, place defects on the clothes and try to get them for discounted prices. I'm not racists or anything, but I have not seen one of these folks that I can say is genuinely well mannered. They have this air of entitlement. They let thier kids run around and wipe thier noses on the clothes....let me stop. I can go on and on."
I told the employee goodbye, paid for my purchases and made a beeline to my car and out of the town. I think next time, I will spend the gas and go to the mall!
If it’s not broken, don’t fix it
5 years ago





5 comments:
Never has the mall sounded more appealing.
I have no idea what's wrong with people these days. Common courtesy and civility have gone completely out the window.
Hmmm...maybe I should do all of my shopping on eBay from now on.
Wow! What a story. People truly are amazing. And I too am not racist but it's hard to control when the people in question are speaking in another language! We experienced this recently while at Disney World. Some of those people from other countries are just plain rude! I know that customs are different in different places, but darn it, when you are in the United States, go by OUR customs!
People are so ignorant. Sorry you had to be put in that situation, but good for you in speaking up to her!! :)
Oh my...what town were you in?????
I hear you! I just had a similar experience at Walgreens. I was kneeling on the floor with my kids and looking through a stack of book covers as they chose which pattern they wanted. A mom with two kids comes up behind us and asks to see the bookcovers. I'm a little taken back at first because I felt that she should wait her turn but I tend to be too nice so I said sure and moved to the side so she can look too. Do you know what she did? She grabbed all the bookcovers that weren't in my hand and went through them with her daughters. I wish I would have said something like, "Excuse me but we were also looking at those." I'm just so dumbfounded in situations like this. I could never be so rude and I certainly don't want to teach my kids to be rude or not courteous of others.
I'm still fuming about it!
Post a Comment