CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Getting Ready

It is hard to imagine that summer is drawing to a close.

Leilani will start 4th grade on September 3rd. I remember the first day of preschool as though it were yesterday. She was reluctant to go with the teacher saying "Mommy, you come. Mommy, you come." It took all of me to not shed a tear or just grab my baby girl and run to the car and jet out of the parking lot. Instead, I gave her a hug and a kiss and told her "Mommy already went to school, now it's your turn. Don't worry, Mommy will be here when you come out. Two hours later I returned and she came out of the school building with her head held high and a beaming smile on her face with the glittery apple she had made clutched lovingly in her little hand.

September 4th will be Christopher's first day of Kindergarten. Kindergarten??? Where does the time go? It seems so unfair how quickly they grow up. Chris has mixed feelings about Kindergarten. One day he is excited, the next he is a bit apprehensive. He is most afraid of not doing well. I reassure him that the teacher will do her best to help him learn and so will we at home.

I start my Fall semester on the 3rd as well. This will be my last course at this college before transfering to the one in which I will earn my Masters Degree. I am excited to get the semester started. This afternoon I drove to the College Bookstore and purchased the lab manual. I definitely wanted to beat the mob scene that it will likely form on the first day of school. Luckily for me, the professor is using the same textbook last semesters professor used. That saved me $176! Thank God!

Books are purchased, supplies are packed in new backpacks, and clothes are pressed and ready to go. Now all that is left to do is enjoy the last few days of summer. This time of year is always bittersweet. We bid a sad goodbye to another carefree summer and welcome a new school year filled with new adventures in learning.

We are looking forward to all the new school year has in store for us!

3 comments:

Melissa S said...

I am not ready yet...I still have to label all of the supplies...they are all waiting for me in those huge shopping bags that will be turned in on BTS night. Clothes for Ajay are picked...clothes for Ava are picked....Abi is another story. Gosh I still need to do haircuts..

Beth said...

You are so right, it is bittersweet. I look back to the wonderful summer we had and forward to another school year of adventures. But each year brings me closer to my girls being full grown and that makes my heart ache a bit.....but I thank God that he has put these 2 wonderful creatures into our lives!

TX to PA: Tales of a student mom said...

That's exactly what I've been thinking about tonight...which is why I'm reading this at such a late hour! School starts tomorrow, and it's a new school to boot. New friends, and a new routine for K, and Kindergarten for A! I'm as in shock about the whole kindergarten as you! I'll be here for moral support when it's your turn next week!