It seems like that saying will be ringing true in Leilani's dance studio. I usually chat with the moms while I wait for Leilani to finish her class. This week was no exception....except the topic of conversation was anything but ordinary.
One of the girls mom looked at me and said:
S's Mom: Be honest with me....do you think this costume is worth $125????
I take a look at the costume and gave a sigh and said:
Me: No, definitely not.
S's Mom: This looks like a nightgown. Disney does a better job with thier princess nightgowns and we pay $30 for it. I'm sorry, this costume could not have cost more than $45.
Me: I agree. But what can we do....
S's Mom: You know what I think? I think they charge all of us non-company members double for the costumes, so that they can offset the cost for the company members who are in 15 or 20 numbers.
Me: You know it doesn't sound like an absurd thought...
Several minutes later another mom comes in...S's mom gets to discussing it and K's mom says the same thing.
But things got really heated when L's mom came in. She came in with a look that would have frozen anyone in thier tracks.
L's Mom- Did any of you pick up your girls costumes?
S and K's mom said yes and I told her I was still waiting for my final bill since Leilani's would be more because of the 3rd class she takes.
L's Mom- We are being had. I am sorry but I need to say something. Is Ms. Pat here?
(we all shook our heads, no) I know we get overcharged for these costumes but this costume is ridiculous. You can not tell me that this costume cost this much! They are profiting off of us non-company students. Do you know that I looked up the costume on the website and it is under VALUE costumes??? That means it must cost less than $60!!
This is the infamous "nightgown" costume as they call it.
I admit I am not a fan of the costume. Her last few years costumes were gorgeous next to this one. I think had a beautiful costume been selected, the parents wouldn't mind so much paying the amount we are paying. But I think it is because this costume looks inexpensive, they all feel they are being had. I can't say I blame them. I know we are paying more for costumes too. But honestly, I don't think there is much we can do about it. Unless of course one of those moms could prove we were grossly overcharged.
I am interested to see what happens next week. Stay tuned!
If it’s not broken, don’t fix it
5 years ago





2 comments:
First off, I love your blog though I only have had a few chances to check in. :-D
We're lucky that our dance studio seems to find costumes that aren't going to break the bank. Of course for the kids in multiple classes and higher levels are more expensive. This studio also has an optional fundraiser that the profit goes towards costumes. You get out there and sell, your costumes end up free. My kids costumes have been paid for by fundraiser $$ the last two years and we didn't sell an insane amount either...woohooo!! If parents don't want to fuss with selling, they just pay for the costumes. Works out well, IMO.
I do hear what you are saying about company members and I hope if that is the case it ENDS promptly by parents looking into it. Our studio has a team also but they state right up front in studio/web page to audition... several classes required, many costumes, many competitions, lots of $$$ compared to regular classes...which I think is fair. If they want all that fuss, they have to pay for it, not the rest of us.
Good luck! I hope it works out..and yes, $125 seems a bit much for a little girl's ballet costume.
ooo that is a lot of money! We pay 50.00 per costume..I had to buy 5 of them...3 for abi and 2 for ava. I would have died if they were 125. To be honest..that costume doesn't look that nice...the ones I am getting for 50.00 are TDF! Just gorgeous. Perhaps your dance company needs to do fundraising to offset some of the costs...just a thought...but I would speak to your ballet company owner to let her know your concerns.
Post a Comment