I remember growing up and believing in Santa. I would write my letter to Santa the day after Thanksgiving and put it in an envelope to be mailed to Santa. It would magically disappear and on Christmas morning I would have a couple of things that I had wished for. I admit I held on to the belief of Santa for a very long time. Fortunately there were no children that spoiled it for me. I just grew up and realized that Mom and my stepdad Zeke would stay up long into the night wrapping presents.
Unfortunately alot of kids today are mean spirited and tease the children that believe. Case in point was a little boy named William on Leilani's bus. Now I had always told Leilani that some of the presents under the tree are from Mom and Dad, but that a couple of special ones are from Santa. No gifts go under our tree till Christmas Eve when Santa comes on his sleigh and opens our door with a special key since we do not have a fireplace, and brings in the toys. This is what she believes with all her heart. So when Leilani came home a couple of weeks ago and told me that William on her bus told everyone there is no Santa Mom and Dad buy the gifts I was crestfallen.
Me: Wow honey what did he say exactly.
Leilani: He said that there is no such thing as Santa, and I told him there is.
Me: Hmm, what else happened.
Leilani: Andie and Katie told him there is too a Santa.
Me: There sure is, you went to him earlier in November and he spoke to you.
Leilani: Yes he sure did. He knew that I was a good girl and told me so. But I told William that Mom and Dad buy gifts for Santa to bring, and Santa brings some special gifts of his own as well.
Me: (smiling) and what did William say then?
Leilani: He just said "Oh" then turned around.
Leilani then waltzed away to play like your average 7 year old. But to think that this eight year old boy could have possibly taken that gift, that wonder, that fairytale quality away from Leilani at the tender age of 7 broke my heart. I know when Leilani does stop believing, I will make sure I train her never to say that there is no Santa to her brother, or another child. Why don't parents teach thier children that? Santa is magical. In a world filled with so much seriousness, isn't it wonderful to just BELIEVE for even a brief moment? I am so glad that Leilani still does, and I am praying she does for a long time.
If it’s not broken, don’t fix it
5 years ago





0 comments:
Post a Comment