CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Made My Day

I am a firm believer of everything happens for a reason. I consider myself a spiritual person. I may not go to church every Sunday...but I do pray to God. I give him thanks for all that I have... as well as asking him to lead me in the right direction. I also believe that he brings people into our life, whether a person that becomes a friend, an acquaintance, or a random interaction with a stranger to bring us messages...whether it be the answer to a prayer, directions we have sought, a way to inform us that we are doing a good job or to offer us words of encouragement.

The last week has been extremely trying for me with Christopher. Especially with his antics of Friday and Saturday. I'd ask Chris why he does what he does, and of course in all his 5 year old glory, he would answer me with a shrug of his shoulders and an "I don't know." It got to the point where Sunday morning, I woke up and just cried. I called Mom for a shoulder to cry on. I was a mess. I just didn't know where I went wrong. I have parented Christopher in the exact same way I did Leilani at his age, and yet, he is so totally different. I know what you are thinking....no two children are alike. But I can't help but think, am I doing it totally wrong when it comes to Chris? Of course after I spoke to Mom, I prayed. Just give me a sign of what I should be doing.

That sign came this afternoon at Target.

I was there in search of a summer quilt for Christopher's big boy bed. He owns 2 comforters, but no lightweight bedding. Since it was lunchtime, we decided to eat some Pizza at Target. Christopher was his usual chatterbox self. Asking me questions I patiently answered. Afterwards, we strolled around the store the whole while chatting away, oblivious those around us.

Suddenly, an older woman a couple of feet away from me said:

Stranger: Miss?

Me: Hello.

Stranger: Can I tell you something?

Me: Sure thing. ( I stopped and she closed the gap between us).

Stranger: I am a retired school teacher, taught for 25 years. And I just couldn't help but notice you and your son interacting.

Me: (my mind was reeling, did I say something wrong to Chris? Oh God, I have scarred Chris for life.)

Stranger: I just had to stop you and tell you how very smart your little boy is. But more importantly, how well you speak to him. You two have a wonderful communication, although I am sure there are times you may think he isn't listening. Believe me with the experience I have I know they are even though they may not seem like they are. You are doing such a great job. I just had to tell you that.

I was speechless at first. A smile warmed my face and I thanked the lady for her kind words.

She will never know how much of an impact her words had on me. I immediately said a quick thanks to the Big Man, for sending me this stranger in the middle of Target with those words of encouragement I so desperately was searching for.

5 comments:

liz mataraza said...

thanks for stopping by my blog! it's so nice to 'meet' new people.

i love this story. i feel the same way about my 6.5 year old at times. he can be so negative and moody and i can't help but think i've done something wrong.

but his teacher has nothing but good news to report and then a few weeks before school ended a substitute had such high remarks for him and informed me how well he behaves and how smart he is. i thought, "are you talking about my child?"

i guess things are happening just the way He plans, even though we might not see it just yet.

sorry for the long-winded comment. have a great week!

Susan said...

Awwwwww! I feel this exact same way about my 7 year old. My girls are night and day, yet were both parented the exact same way!!!!

Melissa S said...

Now that is divine intervention! I soo agree with you...all kids are different...and to me that is soo very frustrating!

Unknown said...

Yay!! Kudos to you!!

Mine are also night and day--very frustrating at the differences in behavior. Scary part is I am a teacher and I've pulled every trick from the book with Monster Man...still trying, lol.

Anonymous said...

It's so great when we are able to recieve these small treasures....
Keep the faith...I'm right there with ya! I'm hoping this will be a good, growing type of summer before Kindergarten starts for us!