Now anyone that knows me well knows that I have alot of patience. So much that many people don't know how I deal with certain people on a daily basis. But I do. It is an inherited trait from my mom. But there are days when I question how far my patience can go. Today was one of those days.....
STAGE MOM
Several months ago I introduced you all to a Stage Mom at Leilani's dance school that every time I see her I cringe. Don't get me wrong, we all think our children are wonderful. And every parent has every right to be proud of thier childs accomplishments, me being one of them. But there are just some women out there that take it to a whole other level. This particular moms walks into the dance studio as though she owns it. She looks at all the other moms from head to toe, sizing them and thier kid up blatantly in front of you. And her daughters are the best thing since sliced bread! If your daughter is not on the dance troupe then your daughter is pathetic and a pion in her eyes.
Anyway...today was the first day back to dance school since the girls were given thier acceptance letters for the dance troupe. So Stage Mom was sitting with her court of followers at the table next to me. One of the moms is a very friendly soul and asked me if Leilani would be dancing with the "Twinklets" (that is what they call the 6-9 year old competitive age group of the dance troupe). I told her no which immediately immeted a smirk from stage mom. I told the friendly one of the bunch "Leilani was accepted, but unfortunately at the moment we can not commit financially to the dance troupe. IN a couple of years Leilani can decide if she would like to do so since I will godwillingly be teaching then." Stage Mom looked me up and down and smirked again and proceeded to start up a conversation with friendly mom as to say "she is beneath us, don't waste another breath". Her actions screamed "Hmmph, yeah sure your daughter got accepted. YOU WISH!"
As though that wasn't enough, Stage Mom started up a conversation on how she spent $3,000 last year on one daughter for dance and competition costs. Then she gushed on how they have no other choice, her girls get accepted to dance competitively they have to do it. "This means we will be spending $6,000 or more combined for the two girls" Hubby is going to have to put in more hours. And then she cackled.
Not for anything I am so glad that I dont have to deal with her yet on the competitive circuit. It is on these once a week classes and just listening to her gives me a headache and drives me to thoughts of how I can tune out her face, her voice, anything about her. I wonder if she even realizes what she does? Does she realizes that she sizes people up the moment she enters a room non-discreetly? Is she not aware that some people are not willing to give up family time with thier spouse just to earn money for classes? Some people can't.. And some plan things out strategically.
The great part was the validation at the end of class that what I told Friendly Follower was true. Leilani's dance instructor came out and said Goodbye to Leilani and said to me "Wish she could have joined this year, but I fully understand. Hopefully next year she can join". Stage Mom's eyes focused on me and then turned away....
If it’s not broken, don’t fix it
5 years ago





1 comments:
Hey Carmen,
I just found the link to your blog from an email you sent me. I have a special fondness for the name Leilani. That was the other name chosen for me, but my parents went with the traditional Maria Theresa Catholic thing.
Don't worry about Stage Mom. There are people like that everywhere you go. It's a thorn in everyone's side that we have to put up with while we're here on Earth. But I know it's hard to ignore. Just feel sorry for her cuz she just doesn't get it. If she's just using her DH for money to fund the dance thing for her girls, they'll probably end up divorced b/c of it. Like I said, I'd feel sorry for her.
Post a Comment