Today we spent a euphoric day at Yankee Stadium.
I was born and raised in the "Boogie Down Bronx", as natives to the borough call it. So it was natural that my family were die hard Yankee fans. Of course, I followed suit. And being huge fans, we spent many summer days watching our team play. At the time of my childhood, they were not the magical Yankees of today. To tell you the truth, they downright stunk! But that didn't matter. We went to the games and root, root, rooted for the hometeam and loved them, last place and all.
Of course, we stood proudly as they worked thier way back up on the pedestal. We can honestly say that we are TRUE fans. There for our team during the good times and bad. Not to be mistaken with the "World Series" fans...those that became fans once they started winning championships.
Today was a bittersweet day for me. I was totally excited to take Leilani, Christopher, and Malik to watch thier first Yankee game. They left the stadium today totally pumped! "Yankees Rock!", "That was an AWESOME game" is what Mike and I heard as we walked back to the parking lot. It was amazing! But in the same token I knew that this would be thier first, and last time at this stadium....for by this time next year the Yankees will be playing in thier brand new ball park across the street. It was sad to know that.
So as I sat and watched the game, I took in every sight, sound, smell, the very essence of the stadium. I burned them into my memory. I recalled all the happy memories of my childhood spent there. And as bittersweet as it was, I know that those memories will not die with the demolishment of this stadium. They will continue living on in my heart. Now I look forward to next year, when I get to form new memories with my family in the New Yankees Stadium!
If it’s not broken, don’t fix it
5 years ago





4 comments:
That is sad....it is always hard to see things change....but at least you got to be there 1 last time..and captured a great pic!
Wow. You just brought back memories of me and my family going to the Oriole games back in the old Memorial Stadium. Great memories.
I haven't been to a ball game in years and I miis it.
We went through the same thing at the end of 2005 when the Cardinals finished their last season in Old Busch Stadium. But then we won a World Series the first season we were in New Busch!!! Still hard to say goodbye to the stadium I was brought up in though.
I'm heading over for my first trip to Yankee stadium on Wednesday even though I've been a fan for forever. I can't wait!
Post a Comment