CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Last Day as a "Mommy" of 3


Here I sit, waiting for my load of laundry to finish drying so I can pack up Malik's suitcase. I am anal about sending all his laundry clean. It is one less thing my sister has to do. She can get him home and unpack his whole suitcase right into his dresser.

It amazes me to see how much he has grown. It seems like yesterday I saw my sister push him out into the world. He has grown, but his personality is exactly the same. He was always a happy smiley baby....much like the happy smiley kid he is today.

He and I chatted a little while ago and he said "Titi, I am going to miss you. I wish my mom and I were moving to New York so we can be close to you, Tio Mike and my cousins." I gave him a hug and replied I wish he was too. It was all I can do to hold back the tears.

I know he would benefit so much by being close to his family, albeit my sister would too. But as I told him and Melissa, a move that big has to be planned out. It takes money and careful planning to move to a new locale. Money for a place, time to search for a job, and research on schools. I am sure if my sister wants to move up north, she will. But hopefully she will do it in a levelheaded way, searching all her options and laying out a well made plan.

At the end of my conversation with my beloved nephew I asked him if he had a good summer. He eagerly nodded his head yes and told me he had the best time visiting with us. He pointed out his favorite moments. Of course the required workbook pages everyday were not a fave of his (hey, even my two complain from time to time) but he knew that I had them work on them for his best interest. He loved all the activities I planned for them....his days at the boardwalk, trip to amusement parks, visit to the farm, and the lazy days of summer spent splashing in the pool. He loved going to the racretrack, and even more so not one, but two visits to ballparks. And the highlight of the trip....a visit to YANKEE STADIUM!!! He also loved acquiring new Webkinz. But most of all, he loved bonding with FAMILY.

I will miss his unexpected, but much appreciated hugs and kisses, his tender I love you, Titi, and most of all his wholehearted laughter and mega-watt smile. Seems like the weeks breezed by. Time sure does fly when you're having fun.

Till next summer, Malik! Or, God-willingly, sooner than that.

4 comments:

Melissa S said...

oooo soo sad..sounds like you planned such an awesome visit for Malik...I sure hope he gets to visit again soon.....

Unknown said...

Awww- how sweet and wonderful of you guys to keep him for a visit!

I know the feeling, and frustration, of only seeing the kids in the family once or twice a year. My one sister tends to move places far off and make poor choices in general so my other sister, my mom, sister's ex-husband and I have routinely taken turns caring for her kids most every summer for the past 6 or 7 years. One summer I was going to keep them for 2 weeks and it ended up 6, which was great actually! They are pretty good kids, they've just had an unstable life. My sister and I bang our heads about trying to "fix" them or their situations, but we can only do so much and we can't control what their mother does/doesn't do after they go back home. Ugh. I could rant on about other issues, but we do get the similar line, "Can we move back here? I wish you were closer!" every time they stay and it just breaks your heart. My kids too because they don't understand why those two cousins 1- can't be close and 2- can't visit throughout the year like other cousins do.

Malik sounds like a great kid and it's wonderful that he had a great time with your family, even the worksheets! :-D He will probably never forget the summers he spends with you!

Anonymous said...

How neat! I bet he will always remember the special time he spent with you! That truly is such a special thing to give to him!

GemisMyName said...

Nice blog!! From one preciousgem to another!!