Community Service is synonymous with Girl Scouting. And since the majority of my girls scout troop are in thier 3rd year of Brownies, I decided I would contact a local assisted living facility to emerge my girls in giving back to the community.
With the help of one of my girls mother, I found one right in our town. Our first visit was Friday, February 29th.
My coleaders and myself picked up the girls at the school and made our way across town. Since it had been a while since the residents were visited by a Girl Scout troop, there was a full house! There were approximately 26 ladies and one gentleman there! My girls were a little shy at commencement, but once I handed out the little craft packets which consisted of easter colored bracelets and St Patty's necklaces, they warmed up to the residents and had a great time making them little trinkets. And the residents adored seeing young people entertaining them.
I was so proud of my girls! They really enjoyed it. On the ride back to the school they were busy discussing what they would like to do next time they go see the residents. Some of them even thought the visit was too short! The events coordinator told us we are welcome back anytime. We are all set for another visit in April!
If it’s not broken, don’t fix it
5 years ago





1 comments:
Yay for you and the girls! My mother-in-law is a resident at a retirement home and loves when the little ones come in to "play" with them! Way to go!
Post a Comment