CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, February 10, 2007

Rough Week

This week has been one of those weeks. Massive school work complicated with a sick child at home, and recieving surprising news from a teacher in which I had to dish out my first real punishment to boot.

My World Lit class is going well. The week before we had an unexpected day off so it allowed me some extra time to catch up on the readings. I thought we would get a couple of quizzes but we were pleasantly surprised. He gave us the exam as a take home! That was definitely great news. Of course I do not have such luck with the internet course. It really is weighing on me. Having to write 3-4 writing assignments every other day and then responding to 3-4 writing assignments of other students is exhausting and time consuming. It really leaves little time for other things.

Christopher went to school a healthy little boy on Monday. But when he woke up on Tuesday he was miserable. He had a horrible cough and a slight fever. That is the tough part of sending your child to school. They end up catching everything that other children get. I ended up taking him to the doc on Wednesday when his cough got worse (sounded like a bark). He ended up having croup. His oxygen saturation was at 90% and the doc gave him a neb treatment in the office. We were sent home with instructions to give him treatments 3 times a day and a promise to return for a recheck on Monday.

If I didn't have enough on my plate, I get a call from Lei's teacher. It seems that she got herself into a little situation at school. A little background: She has her best friend in her class for the first time. And it is proving to be too much for her. She has been getting bouts of jealousy when her BFF chooses to play with her other classmates. Both girls are very well liked so they have tons of friends in the class. But Lei feels that Em should chose to play with her first all the time. OK back to the call. Thursday her teacher stated that she just wanted to give me the heads up on what happened that day. Her frog was switched to yellow (Teacher has a froggie for each child that is usually green. When they need to be warned on something they get a white frog. When they do something bad they get a yellow and 15 minutes off recess, orange frog is 20 minutes off recess, red no recess and a call to home).

Being that the teacher and I have a good repoire, she decided to call me and inform me of the situation right away since she knows I would rather know at yellow than wake till the situation escalates to a red. Turns out Lei took Em's wallet and was using it to try to frame P (another classmate) with taking it. At first she lied and said that P took it. P was dumbfounded when she heard the accusation. But if anyone knows Lei, she is not a very good liar. She does not have a poker face. Which is great for me since it is a signal that she is lying. So the teacher had the two girls talk. P told Lei that she should tell the truth because if not both will get in trouble and it wasn't fair for her to get trouble since she didn't do it. She fessed up, and teacher asked why. She said "Because I wanted P to get in trouble with Em." AAGGGHHH!!! I couldnt believe it! Em forgave her, but was heartbroken that her BFF would do such a thing. She did tell her that she would need to talk to me. That is when Lei lost it.

So I thanked the teacher for calling me and had exactly an hour to figure out what to do. After C the boy I tutor in reading left. I sat her down and had the talk. She fessed up to me with tears brimming from her eyes. It old her that her punishment would be no TV, No video games, No toys, and she would not be going to the movies she had begged me to take her to and I told her I would. this weekend. Of course she was crushed. But I really want her to learn that there is nothing positive that comes out from lying and stealing to frame another child. Moreover, I talked to her about jealousy. The way she has been acting will make her lose friends not keep them.

My favorite saying "Why don't kids come with manuals??"

0 comments: